The Finest of Green Hotels in Downtown Chicago
A Commitment to Environmental Responsibility at Our Downtown Chicago Green Hotel
As we embark on our 90th year as a Chicago landmark, The Allerton Hotel Chicago has emerged as one of the leading downtown Chicago green hotels. We continue to uphold our commitment to preserve the environment and create awareness in environmental responsibility among our associates.
Our Chicago eco-friendly hotel has started a Green Team that will be comprised of influential members of the hotel staff from every department to help develop and maintain the environmental compliance program. The Green Team will meet quarterly with the assignment of reviewing ongoing waste and recycling programs. This team is also charged with finding ways to improve energy efficiency performance and to seek green-related rewards for the hotel. The Green team will assist all departments in sourcing vendors who represent environmentally friendly products for the hotel.
Waste Minimization, Reuse and Recycling
- The Allerton Hotel will establish and maintain a recycling program for cardboard, newspapers and paper waste.
- All fluorescent light bulbs and batteries are to be recycled.
- Refillable amenities are to be used in all public and employee restrooms.
Office and Paper Waste Limiting
- Set default copy setting to double sided.
- Whenever possible use email and electronic documents.
- Reuse single sided copies for internal printouts or scratch paper.
- All pre-printed stationery items, i.e. business cards, brochures, note cards and key packets, are to be printed with soy ink.
Environmentally Friendly Cleaning Supplies
- The Allerton Hotel will use concentrated environmentally friendly products with minimal packaging to limit waste, as well as refillable and reusable spray bottles.
- Aerosol cans are only to be used if no alternative exists.
- Minimize the use of disposable food service items in food and beverage operations and in guest rooms.
- The Allerton Hotel is proud to introduce environmentally friendly guest room key cards.
- Disposable cups used at the Allerton Hotel are made of recyclable corn-based product.
Energy Efficiency, Conservation and Management
- Old equipment that needs to be replaced will be replaced with energy-efficient equipment. This includes all office equipment, i.e. fax machines, copiers, printers, computers, monitors, televisions, pumps, motors, kitchen and laundry equipment.
- All indoor lighting shall be energy-efficient or scheduled for replacement with energy-efficient lighting. This is not to include any historic or specialty fixtures.
- Timers and sensors will be used in low-traffic and low-occupancy areas.
- The Allerton Hotel will insure all items are working in the designed efficiency by using a regular preventative maintenance program on all equipment, including filter changing, leak checks, etc.
Management of Water Resources
- The Allerton Hotel has an in-room water conservation program promoting re-use of bed linens and towels.
- The Allerton Hotel sweeps instead of spray washing the sidewalks and driveways.
- The Allerton Hotel will continue to use biodegradable dishwashing detergent that does not contain chlorine bleach or nitrilotriacetic acid.
- Chlorinated chemicals are used only where there is no less toxic alternative.
- All cleaning chemicals are to be nontoxic and non-phosphate and be concentrated whenever possible.
- All general cleaning products will be purchased with the environment in mind.
- Products are to be less then 10% VOC by weight.
- The Allerton Hotel shall work with environmental pest control to seek out and explore the use of organic insecticides and biocides.
Purchasing Policy Targets
- The Allerton Hotel Environmental Compliance Standards Manual and Purchasing Policy will be annually reviewed by the Green Team and will be modified as appropriate to ensure the highest standards possible.
- We have set the purchasing targets for Engineering and Housekeeping chemicals, light bulbs, large equipment, office supplies and guest room items.
- The Allerton Hotel will use only vendors who comply with the environmental guidelines whenever possible.